- The bracing smell of seaside air which people often think is ozone is in fact dimethyl sulphide produced from rotting seaweed.
- Ozone is a pale blue gas with a distinctive pungent smell.
- Ozone near ground level may be harmful. A component of smog, it can lead to breathing disorders and chest pain.
- The Montreal Protocol to ban ozone-depleting chemicals such as CFCs was signed in 1989.
- Harmful ground-level ozone is produced by car and truck exhausts and natural gas production.
Read our previous article about the Amazon region.